21 February 2015

College Band {& Invitations}

(My apologies for the tardiness of this post.)

After Sunday's massive post, I'll keep this one short and sweet; I'll try not to bore all of you with too much band talk.

As I mentioned, I am a member of the University of Nevada Pride of the Sierra Wolf Pack Marching Band (long title, I know; we don't actually call ourselves that every single time it comes up). I am one of 16 other tuba players in a nearly 180-strong band. 

However, I am also a member of the Nevada Wind Ensemble, where I (currently) play the clarinet. (Last semester, I played bass clarinet. It was a trying time.)

Briefly in my last post, I talked about how different high school band was from middle school band. The same holds true for college! Though it has its drawbacks, I'm glad to be where I am now. Every single student truly wants to be a part of the activity (and they'd better, considering it's close to $200/credit). It also helps that, by the time you get to college, you've picked up some skill on your instrument.

The music community I've found here is not only high-caliber, but also welcoming and open. Everyone is accepted and supported. It's the perfect environment to grow as a musician.

And now, because no post is complete without a shameless plug, I encourage anyone who happens to be in the Reno-Sparks area on February 23 to attend our upcoming concert! 
Venue: Nightingale Concert Hall, Church Fine Arts Building, University of Nevada
Date/Time: 2/23/2015, 7:30PM
Admission: $5 (Free for university students)
We'll be joined by the Symphonic Band, whose repertoire includes works from Grainger, McBeth, and Mackey.

And the Wind Ensemble will be playing:
Toccata Marziale, Ralph Vaughan Williams
Paean (Chant and Triumph), Steven Bryant
Danzón No. 2, Arturo Marquéz
#getcultured

No comments:

Post a Comment